Solarize Lowell is designed to save homeowners money on their solar installations by allowing them to buy as a group. The Solarize Lowell program utilizes a fixed-discount pricing structure based on economies of scale, which leverages the buying power of community participants to drive down the price for all.
During Solarize Lowell, the baseline pricing available for our standard efficiency solar array is $2.67/watt – almost a full dollar per watt lower than the average cost of solar in Massachusetts ($3.57/watt).
What the heck does dollar per watt mean?
Say you have a $175/month electric bill, you would need roughly 10,000 kilowatt-hours of power to offset that bill, resulting in a solar project of ~9 kilowatts (30 panels).
At the price of $2.67/watt, this 9,000-watt system (1 kilowatt = 1,000 watts) costs $24,030, or a full $8,100 less expensive than the average price of solar in Massachusetts. That is nearly a $10,000 savings by going solar through this program!!
Every solar array has a variety of incentives it is eligible for – that 30-panel system looks like this:
$24,030 gross installed cost
-($7,209) 30% federal tax credit
-($1,000) state income tax credit
$15,821 net installed cost + $1150/year in benefits from SMART program
You can finance this system for no upfront cost at ~$156/month … less than what you pay now for grid power! With a 12-year solar loan you not only will lock in your energy payments at a lower rate than you pay now, but after 12 years you will own your system outright for many more years. Your savings get even better if you combine solar savings with reduced oil or gas expenses by switching from a boiler to a solar-powered air source heat pump.
Additional pricing factors for your solar array are outlined below:
Site Specific Cost Adjustments
- Multiple roof arrays: (+) $410/project
- Tilt racking for flat roof: (+) $0.31/watt
- Steep roof: (+) $400/project
- Tall roof: (+) $400/project
- Pole or ground-mounted system: (+) $0.75/watt
- Trenching (if not included in a pole or ground-mounted system): (+) $500/day + $8/foot
- Tree removal: Contracted and completed by 3rd party
- Squirrel/pest control system: Custom per system quote
- Snow guards: Custom per system quote
- Rafter reinforcement: Time & material estimate per occurrence
- Line-side tap: (+) $431/project
- Electrical panel upgrade: (+) $2,550 (variable with level of panel/service upgrade)
- Electrical subpanel: (+) $1,200/project
- Meter upgrade/change:
- Interior conduit run: (+) $5/foot
- Consumption monitoring: Included in base price
- Data Acquisition System: Automatic Reporting to PTS: Included in base price
System Size Adjustment
- > 9kW: (-) $0.20/watt
- Standard efficiency modules: Included in base price
- High efficiency LG 360 watt modules: (+) $0.40/watt
- Enphase IQ7 microinverters, and internal monitoring: (+) $0.46/watt + $147/panel
- SolarEdge P Series DC Optimizers: Included in base price
- Extended warranty: TBD
- Annual maintenance: (+) $0.02/watt